Search:     Advanced search
Browse by category:
Knowledgebase | Ask a Question |

I am looking for college scholarships or grants for grandchildren of veterans or VFW members. My father is a Korean War Veteran (now deceased) and his grandson is trying to find financing for his college education.

Article ID: 485
Last updated: 11 Jul, 2017
Revision: 25
Views: 90606

The VFW National organization offers the “Voice of Democracy” annual audio-essay college scholarship contest for 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade high school students (including homeschooled students.) College students are not eligible for the contest. Information on the Voice of Democracy contest is available online here.  We also offer a middle school essay writing contest, the Patriot's Pen.  It is for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students.  Students entering in either contest do not need to be children, grandchildren or relatives of an active duty military member, a military veteran, or a VFW member. The student entry deadline for both annual contests is October 31st (at a local participating VFW Post in your local area.)  NOTE: The upcoming contest deadlines for 2017-18 will be October 31, 2017.  The themes for 2017-18 will be announced by February 1, 2017 and the new entry forms will be online no later than April 1, 2017.  If you have questions about these two contests, please contact Kris Harmer, VFW Programs, at National Headquarters, e-mail her at or call (816) 968-1155 during normal business hours.

The Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) and one of its major supporters, Sport Clips Haircuts, have again partnered to help our veterans and their families. The VFW "Sport Clips Help A Hero Scholarship" will provide service members and veterans with the financial assistance they need to complete their educational goals without incurring excessive student loan debt. It’s just another way to say “thank you” to those who deserve it the most! Please click the above link for full details on the scholarship program and to apply.  

There are local organizations, including possibly some VFW Posts, that may make funds available. Please contact VFW Programs for a phone number or e-mail address to contact your VFW Department (state) Headquarters office and they can direct you to any local VFW Posts that might possibly help, or tell you if they offer anything themselves at the state level. You can also ask your Department if you can speak to your state's Service Officer - they might be able to find out if there is any assistance available through the Veterans Administration (VA)  in your particular state. You can also “Find A Post” to search for various local VFW Posts to contact to see if they have any other scholarship opportunities.


This article was:  
Also read
document Can you tell me what VFW Posts in my city participate in the Voice of Democracy Scholarship contest (or Patriot's Pen), and how do I obtain an entry form or more information?
document Where are the judging forms (score sheets) and Chairman's Manuals for the Patriot's Pen and Voice of Democracy contests located?
document How should I label the recorded Voice of Democracy audio CD?
document How and when do participants in the Voice of Democracy or Patriot’s Pen contests learn how their entries have fared at the various levels (Post, State, etc.)?
document Will a VFW member be able to come to my school to speak to my students in class about his or her military experiences?
document What are the Voice of Democracy and Patriot's Pen themes?

Prev   Next
I have been appointed the Voice of Democracy chairman for my...     Can you tell me what VFW Posts in my city participate in the...